Moving full steam ahead with our WordPress series, it’s time to finish our static home page that we have been creating. Today, we will utilize all kinds of cool WordPress tricks and functions to bring our home page together. Get ready for a day full of custom fields, WordPress queries, and special functions!

Day 14

Resources you may find useful

Comments
  • John says:

REALLY REALLY REALLY need to source, as I know I have mistyped something, but can’t see what!!

• Athear says:

Need source, can’t read the code waaaay to blury. I’m mistyping something cause I get a blank screen after I code the front page.php. Can’t tell the punctuation. Is it period, comma, semi-colon…. what is it? Sorry I’m a newbie to php.

• Los says:

Hey Guys & Gals,

For those who can’t see what the code is here it is below:

ID, ‘tagline’, true); ?>

Whoops! We could not find what you were looking for.

• john says:

It looked like you were able to create the front_page template file and still have it read the content you hard-coded into the “HOME” page. How is that possible, since it seems like the template file overrides any content placed in the text editor. Can anyone help me understand this. I’d like my client to be able to edit the home page from within the editor but to still use a template. Is that possible?!

• john says:

for anyone who had trouble getting the content to pop up. i found the answer.

that is what your loops should look like. something about the_content not showing up right up after the_post() in his example was making it mess up. after that it worked just fine. just thought i’d post this for anyone who needed it, as i just wasted 1.5 hours trying to figure it out.

• Great tutorial.

I too had some trouble reading the code, especially on the query part that I wasn’t familiar with. I found the answers in the codex though.

One thing I found is that the tags around the links don’t seem to work properly in the custom field (front_columns).

WordPress seems to add an extra openning before the in the html, so that it doesn’t validate.

• Gareth says:

Hi everyone,

This might be a bit late now but the following wordpress link helped me with reading the loop that was hard to see: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/291387

• Karl says:

Here’s another vote for making the code available — was harder to read in this screenie than some of the previous.

Also, wanted to point out — in creating the custom loop for the 3rd column, you passed a parameter of ‘35′ into ‘the_content_rss’ function. You kept saying this was the number of characters, but I noticed it was actually the number of words (if anyone is interested).

And a question — when you’re linking to images in CSS I notice that the link is relative to the location of the CSS file, but when you linked to an image in “featured_section.php” you made the link relative to the Wordpress install folder. Why is this?

• Karl says:

Sorry… not “featured_section.php” — meant “front_page.php”.

• Nathan says:

hey guys,
    when i try loading my website all i get is “Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in C:\Program Files\xampplite\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\themes\starkers\front_page.php on line 42″

<a href="” title=”">Read more …

We could not find what you are looking for.

basicly the line 42 in my code is the does anyone know why its saying that?

• Rob Collins says:

how do i make the nav in non alphabetical order??

thank you!

• AWhelan says:

Hi would anyone be able to help with this problem!
    Once I add the following code:

query(’showposts=1′);
    while($recentBlog->have_posts()) : $recentBlog->the_post();
    ?>

<a href="” title=”">Read More …

I then end up with a blank page, not linking to CSS or anything.
    I have looked for an answer in Codex & on other forums/tutorials but found nothing!!! Please help!
    Many thanks

• AlexB says:

@AWhelen this works for me…..

<a href="” title=”">Read more …