While we sort out the final touches on the .psd file, we are going to spend some time today to have a little fun with Wordpress and also create a very simple Wordpress plugin. If you are interested in learning more about using RSS feeds with wordpress and would like to learn the basics of creating a plugin, then today is the day for you!

Download the Source Code

Day 10: Your First Plugin

Be sure to click on the “Full Screen Toggle” to move to full screen.

Resources You May Enjoy

PSD is Coming Soon!

I know you have all been waiting for us to get to the .psd and I am excited to say we are nearly there! Stay with us and be sure to add any questions or suggestions you have in the comments section below!

Please Note

If you had any issues with the last series and the Wordpress 2.7 comments template, please watch the beginning of this screencast and read all of the comments from that day. There were a few mistakes in the source code all of which have been resolved in the comments and this screencast. The source code above should contain the fixed comments.php file as well. Thanks to all who helped find and clear up any bugs!

Help Us!

We put a great deal of effort into bringing you these videos free of charge. If they have helped, we would greatly appreciate a submission to your favorite social networking site. Even a retweet will help! It allows us to continue providing you with top quality content. Thanks again. :)

Comments
  • Meshach says:

Nice! Thanks for this!

• thanks drew , another wonderful day :) , waiting for the PSD !

• Cody says:

Awhh I wanted PSD! But this is good too!

• John says:

Love the tuts, but you really really need a pop filter on your mic:) Please!

• Hassan says:

Thanks a lot for the video! I was waiting for Day 10 … very eager to learn more! Keep up the good work Drew. We know its hard but we really appreciate you buddy :) Good luck and God Bless!

-Hassan

• Mike Dedmon says:

ditto – Thanks for taking the time and energy to do these. I really look forward to them.

• M.A.Yoosuf says:

its nice to see a Screen-cast after 1 full week, gotta download it vis ITunes and se e it

• Hernan says:

Looking forward for more ! ….. this tuts are great thanks !

• ARI says:

Thanks for the screencasts, Drew!

I have a question about comments.php of Day 9. I can not get “Reply to this comment” link displayed below each comment. I have followed the screencast exactly like it was and included the codes in header.php. I have also tried Drew’s source code and it doesn’t show the link either.

Does anybody have an idea? Thanks!

• terry says:

Are you going to make such screencast about Drupal?

• ARI says:

By far, you have taught pretty much everything to make a Wordpress theme that’s why I think your next screencast will be about .psd… But will you cover the other theme files like archives.php, search.php, image.php, links.php in your future screencast?

Thanks!

• Ron says:

Thanks a lot, hopefully I can finish my first wordpress theme very soon!

Drew Douglass for president!

• chris says:

Yeah I love the series too :) Is it really possible to download the casts from Itunes? Didn´t know that :)

• Meshach says:

@chris: Yes it’s possible.

• Randy says:

Another great job! Don’t worry about the mistakes last time, I think it really encouraged me to go through the code line by line and really understand it.

Hope you feel better soon. I’ll second terry’s request for a Drupal tut next!

• Dennis says:

You are the man, Drew! I can’t believe you’re sick again. I blame the Mc Gang Bangs! lol

Get well soon. And thanks for another amazing screencast.

• chris says:

@ Meshach: Seems that I´m too stupid :D Don´t find it. What do I have to search? Nothing found under: WordPress, In the Woods, Drew Douglass, Theme Forest etc. gna…. ;)

• TheDoc says:

@ Chris: Search for NETTUTS. All of the web-related screen casts go under that.

• ARI says:

@chris: search for “nettuts” on itunes! all the screencasts of themeforest and nettuts are there!

• billknow says:

can’t access blip tv in china

• chris says:

@ari: big thx

• Willabee says:

Created a Feedburner account, downloaded and installed plugin (remote site) and had trouble. The reason was I used a zip type install and the plugin has a folder (MacOSX) which causes a bunch of errors.

I had to delete the folder and just use the FeedBurner_FeedSmith_Plugin.php file uploaded to the plugin folder.

Hope this might help others who venture down this route to save them a bunch of hours trying to google and fix.

Now all was well but the plugin needs improving with regards to generating valid code… but now you’ve taught us how to create plugings I’ve got no excuse not to go in there and fix the problems. To be fair, it’s the Feedburner code you copy and paste that needs re-coding for validation.

@Drew I cannot see how the finished product will validate if things like this are not corrected as we go?

• Brigitte says:

Thanx for this new tutorial, it really helpes me to understand. And for all the tuts before this one. They are of great value for a beginner like me.

But, please could you have a look at the button to dl the source code?
    Instead of giving me the ZIP file I get a weird ERROR msg about “Access denied”
    Why would you deny me the access to a file you put online for dl?

• Michael says:

I’ll second that about the broken/buggy link for the source.

I’ll also admit that I have as well been utilizing the iTunes podcast of these videos. Which is why, being somewhat a NOOB to actually typing in and understanding PHP, I’ve been d/l’ing the source to make sure I’m to type in a parenthesis instead of a bracket, and vice versa, as the resolution of the podcast is not quite as crisps as those for blip.tv.

Also, real quick NOOB question– what is the inherent difference between between quotes in CSS and in tagging div’s, with single vs. double quotes.

TIA, and thanks as well for undeniably the best wp-from-scratch Tute I’ve ever been fortunate to come across.

Michael

• Can’t wait for next screen cast

• Eva says:

Nice series… I’m really finding this usefull

I often make silly mistakes when following along, and usually end up with a blank screen or the content cut off. I can debug these by echoing things out through the script however having error messages show up may be usefull.

Is there any way to make debbugging easier in Wordpress, either by displaying error messages or any plugins/kits to make theme/plugin development a little easier?

Love and hugs

• Thibault says:

Hi Drew thanks for all of theses tutorials they are really amazing and easy to follow.

Just one thought could you show the line Numbers on Coda I think I will make it easier to follow when you go fast…

Thanks, Can’t wait for the 11th screencast.

• thnx Drew , can’t wait for 11th screencast !

• Dennis Aaen says:

I look forward to Worpress for designers day 11.

best regards, Denmark

• James Bond says:

What’s going on with this pod cast? We want that psd lol. Just kidding. I know your prob busy. Was a cool series though.

• Artur says:

I really look forward to Day 11. It’s taking kinda long time… still, it’s great what you’re doing here!

• Tyler says:

Waiting for day 11, and the psd. Been waiting for a while. If u dont jump on it pretty soon people are gonna start loosing interest in this series.

• Pedro Bacelar says:

Yeah! Hurry up with that video! Whats the point of seeing the series if they take months to be completed!?

I’m already starting to loose interest in the series…:s

well, but anyway…keep up with the good work!

• John Doe says:

Yea, I’ve been checking back here every day for about a month I think.

• Sean Smyth says:

Wow. Some people are being hard on you here for some reason (or, at least, I’m getting that impression)

LEAVE DREW ALOOOOONE!!!!

Seriously though, get off his back. He’s going a great great job and people narking at him about little individual things must get annoying.

Or if he’s ok with it, just ignore everything I said.

• Blake says:

Awesome tutorial series, Doug. I spent three whole, straight days following from steps 2/3-10 (I’d already set up MAMP) and came up with something I’m pretty proud of and will definitely see some use before it’s changed in any sort of big way. Previously I’d done a tutorial that used a base template – the Starkers theme, a stripped-down version of Kubrik – but after your series was able to go back and revise the partly-defunct sidebar in that other blog to do the exact same functions correctly with about half the code. So again, awesome series, thanks so much for doing it.

Result: http://animivirtus.com/blog/

• Stéphane says:

Line 44 :
    Logged in as <a href=”

not : site_url
    (or you will get an error with the admin link button)

• Stéphane says:

Line 44 : siteurl

not : site_url
    (or you will get an error with the admin link button)

• Angelshark says:

Please help me!

After i have activated the plugin i get a bunch of errors when i logout or in.
    I would be deeply thankful for some help ,im going crazy