Ask JW: How to Bring in Your Twitter Feed With Javascript

For this week’s question and answer, we’ll discuss how to use Javascript/jQuery to utilize the Twitter API to bring in a list of tweets.

Hello Jeffrey. I’m hoping that you can help me figure out how to bring in my Twitter feed with Javascript. Thank you!

The Answer

}
				}
    		});
    	}
    );

Credits

The techniques used in this tutorial were referenced from a recent Nettuts+ tutorial: “Create a Fun Tweet Counter With jQuery”.

Comments
  • Bryan says:

Great screen cast that will help anyone working to make a Twitter app.

• Anrui says:

Nice screencast, JW! Simple and easy way to begin incorporating twitter onto any web page.

I’ll venture a guess and say “RPP” stands for “Returned per page”. :)

• TKawai says:

Awesome tutorial! I’ve been looking for something like this. But I was wondering, how do you go about making usernames, hashtags, and links to automatically get the anchor tags?

• me the First , i will try thanks JW

• Ricardo says:

Very cool! Thanks for the screencast. You’ve merged two subjects I’ve been very interested in.

• can we use $.ajax method ?
    so when it return the results then we can use each function ..
    ???

• Devin says:

Another nice one here Jeff

• Sean says:

Hey Jeff!, cheers for the info, is there any easy way to find urls in the tweets and automatically wrap them in anchor tags? Or a way to automatically scroll through them with jQuery?

• redwall_hp says:

Using the Search API to avoid the rate limit? Smart.

Some sort of cache would still be nice though.

• Lou says:

great tutorial.. thanks!

• Jash Sayani says:

Is there any way to DOWNLOAD the SCREENCASTS ?

I am also waiting to download Diving into PHP… And preferable in better quality for downloads.

• Tanax says:

Cool tutorial!

If I would guess, I would say that “RPP” stands for Results Per Page.

• nanochrine says:

There is a lot easier using tweet (an jquery plugin http://tweet.seaofclouds.com/)
    I use it and it’s a lot easier

• Jeffrey says:

@nonochrine – Well yeah – it’s a plugin…meaning it’s not your own code.

• Jeffrey says:

@Muhammad – Yes you can use the $.ajax method, but why would you want to? The $.getJSON is exactly what we need in this case.

• Cerium says:

@Jeffrey : why use jQuery for doing this ? Simple Javascript will be lightweight than using a library :)

• Yosy says:

Hi Jeffrey,
    Great Screencast,Can you do more screencasts about json?

Yosy

• shedh says:

nice, but still missing these screencast whats up with them?

ain’t seen alot of them recently

• Jelmer says:

Thanks a lot Jeffrey! Cool script, simple & effective!

Jelmer

• Jelmer says:

Oh, I forgot to ask, could you do a screencast (if it is possible) on selecting a specific word (or maybe a sentence) from a paragraph, ul, div, span or something? Or is that too easy to make? :) I still can’t figure it out.

• Andrew says:

Nice work.

Interesting to note, If you post in Twitter then realize you made a typo, you delete and re post.

When using this script you see both the deleted and replacement post in the list.

delete must not mean delete.

• Sharpie says:

How do I submit a question to JW? Because I would like to know the back-end (server side) information for setting up a file uploading system. Right now I can only have a 2MB max file size, and I would like to what all needs to be done to allow larger files and what setting would be recommended. I would like at least 250MB or even larger. I read a whole bunch of stuff online, but it doesn’t really help. Most of the sites I found using Google are sites that allow large uploads and not a tutorial on how to do it.

• ashit says:

RPP = Results Per Page .

• cmar says:

Thanks for the great tut. I took the code for my own site. Just made one slight change to be more jQuery like.

You can use the $ function to build your , so you don’t have to concat the string together..

$(‘#container’).append($(”).append(tweets[num].text));

• Anya says:

Hi Jeff! Great tutorial! Thanks!

My only problem is that when I do the twitter search (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=from:dateraters&rpp=5) only one of my tweets comes up and I have more. Anyone knows what might be the problem?

THANKS!!!

• GeradT says:

Where is the tutorial on how to do this using PHP. I would be REALLY interested to learn that. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

• Eric Val says:

RPP = Results Per Page.

Anrui was close. If you take a look a the results page with the appended rpp string came back with 5 per page and there is a page scroller on the bottom.

great tuts as usual JW.