Top 5 Web Statistic Systems

Every webmaster wants to know how many hits his website is getting, whether it be daily, monthly or just sporadically; but with so many stat tools availble, which one is the best to use? In this article, we’ll review some of the top systems available.

1. Google Analytics

In my opinion, Google Analytics is the best free stat tool out there. Google Analytics is a very comprehensive stat tool which can tell alot about the traffic of your website. It provides in depth information, and can be valuable to the success of your website.

Main Features of Google Analytics:

• Detailed graphs of your statistics
  • Geographical information on where your visitors originate from
  • Detailed statisitcs in general e.g. Site Usage, Bounce Rates.
  • Overviews on traffic e.g. Content overview and Traffic overview
  • Goals, which is a feature that measures how well your site fulfills business objectives.

Advantages

• Detailed statistical information
  • Accurate statistics, along with high quality graphs
  • The ability to review any date period to check out stats recorded on that date

Disadvantages

• For someone who’s relatively new to being a webmaster, Google Analytics’ sheer amount of information it gives may be slightly overwhelming to a new user.

2. WordPress Stats (Plugin)

If you’re a blogger, there’s a good change that you use WordPress! If you are running WordPress, you might want to consider using WordPress Stats.

Main Features of WordPress Stats:

• Integrates right into your WordPress installation
  • Provides information on referrals, clicks, key search terms and more
  • Integrates into your WordPress Admin Dashboard, so you can always keep track of your stats
  • Any information recorded is instant as it happens. So if someone clicked on a page on your website, WordPress Stats would update almost instantly.

Advantages

• Minimal Setup required (Because it’s a plugin, all script lines that need to be added for it to work are inputted automatically)
  • Specifically designed for WordPress websites, so it’s a stats system you can trust if your using WordPress
  • Produces a graph which updates as hits are recorded. This is displayed on both the blog stats page and WordPress admin dashboard.

Disadvantages

• It’s only for WordPress
  • Not as in depth as others, but does its job well.

3. Woopra

Woopra is a bit like Google Analytics, because they both provide similar statistic information to their users. It is slightly unique as it is split into two services: a desktop client program and a web server application. You are also able to track single users and where they go on your website in seconds. Features like this are valuable to your website success and show how good your content is.

Main Features of Woopra:

• Live Stat Monitoring
  • Provides two different services: desktop client program and a web server application
  • Provides in-depth analytical information as well as general stats.
  • Innovative stats system
  • The new Woopra Analytics

Advantages

• You are able to see your stats on your desktop thanks to the Desktop Application
  • Stats are live and update instantly.
  • The Woopra API
  • Because of the API, there are a handful of plugins to integrate Woopra with blogs and other website services.

Disadvantages

• Woopra is currently BETA (So there are bugs that are yet to be found or are being fixed)
  • Requires a bit of time to fully setup.
  • When Woopra is out of Beta, free and paid plans will be in place, so this may hint that some systems are going to be limited to free users.

4. Alexa Web Information

Alexa, is a bit of a different stat system, it’s what you could call a public stat system. Why public? Because every website in its crawl list is viewable by anyone, which means anyone can look at another websites statistics. Not only are they public but they also have there own traffic rank system to list websites in there crawl list. In some peoples views someone would consider Alexa as not worth mentioning, but I believe it provides some useful information.

Main Features of Alexa:

• Public Stat monitoring system
  • Provides information like, demographics, keywords, related links, and click stream information
  • Uses own Alexa Traffic rank system to list websites according to those most popular

Advantages

• Once a website is crawled, Alexa will update the information automatically.
  • Don’t need to sign up for an account to view any websites statistics
  • Data is updated quite regularly

Disadvantages

• It’s not the most accurate system to use
  • Isn’t as in depth as others stat systems
  • Alexa is not a live stat service. Usually stats are updated daily or every two or so days.
  • Because Alexa has its own traffic rank system it may not represent a websites true position in the web.

5. Compete

Compete provides analytical information but also allows anyone to view websites that it has collected information on, similarly to Alexa. Compete has a diverse sample of websites and works with samples of internet users and analyzes the web pages they visit.

Main Features of Compete:

• Combination of Analytics and general stats
  • Like Alexa it is also a public stat system (Anyone can view website stats which have been collected)
  • Branches out into different self service tools.
  • Compete is based on samples of people’s internet activity

Advantages

• Valuable to a business/corporate website
  • Different ranges of analytical information
  • A variety of Self Service tools

Disadvantages

• It is generally not for the average user. More for the business/marketing sector
  • Compete isn’t free. Only basic information is available for free users. Again this is due to Compete being aimed at businesses and not general websites.

Comments
  • Benni says:

Just to mention them: Piwik, Mint and etracker. In my opinion these are the best.

• sven says:

Mint is quite good indeed.
    Also, dont forget clicky

• Mark Dijkstra says:

Nice post.

another great and free one is Goingup

• Crowley says:

compete suck!

• Rob Schultz says:

I’d also suggest taking a look at Reinvigorate. First, it’s FREE, and it’s real time statistics provides me with immediate information when I want it. On top of that they have a pretty nifty desktop application as well. I use several stats packages to monitor my sites, but visit Reinvigorate the most. Check it out for yourself @ http://www.reinvigorate.net

• Stefan says:

I’ve tried all of them but always returned to Google Analytics. Even though it can seem to be overwhelming, you will find your way very quickly.

• Ahmad Sheikh says:

Its really Nice, I’m using Google Analytics :)

• Alex P says:

They’re all great for small-medium projects but for anything enterprise-level-wannabe you might want to use what big companies use : Omniture (http://www.omniture.com/en/) or WebTrends (http://www.webtrends.com/). They’re not free of course…unfortunately.

• OrganicIT says:

I am an old fashioned cheap skate, I will mention webalizer.

• Great Article James!

I personally prefer Google Analytics, because i can monitor heaps of sites, and it gives an indepth view of stats. Also due to the popularity of it there are things such as iPhone and Desktop apps, etc also available.

• James White says:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve also been looking at other that you guys have mentioned :)

• Hello here,
    thanks for sharing these links !
    I personnaly use StatCounter which isn’t in your list. It’s a good online tool, very complete (but less than Google Analytics) and free untill 500 log entries registered by day.

• Nice post!

Another great pay one is:

Its a pay product so probably more for the business users.

Mark

• tkhobbes says:

Isn’t google a little problematic in terms of privacy? What about the others?
    Apart from that – good overview, and btw in general – I like your site :)

• Ali says:

Google Analytic forever !!
    the amount and the depth of the tracking data it provides is crazy :)

• Brandon Cox says:

I’m totally addicted to Mint – surprised it didn’t make the list while Compete.com and Alexa did… especially Alexa which is always way behind on its numbers.

• celshader says:

I quite like bbclone for the small business clients I have.
    It may not be as comprehensive as some of these options but its very easy to use and you can provide access to a client by simply giving them a link.

• Pixelmed says:

Thanks for the article and i prefer wordpress stats plugin

• mary says:

I use WP-Stats on my wordpress blogs because it’s almost immediate stats, and it’s nice and clean interface makes it a pleasure. For everything else I use Google Analytics. I’ll have to check out some of the other ones mentioned.

thanks for the article.

• Nathan says:

Alexa is absolutely terrible. I can’t believe it’s even on this list. The same can be said with Compete.

• Tim says:

I prefer W3Counter.com for my stats as the interface is a lot more simple to use than Google Analytics. Mint is also excellent (and I do use GA and WP-Stats too on some projects).

• James White says:

Thanks again for all these comments :) I was busy over the weekend so I didn’t get time to look at them all. I can understand why people are confused and slightly angry at why I included Alexa and Compete. I generally went with a diverse selection of Website Statistic Systems, that we’re a bit different. I wanted to add in more systems that have been mentioned in the comments, but I would just ended up including about 15 or so which would of been too much.

• Matt says:

I’ve tried all of these, but consistently find myself going back to StatCounter for what I need. I’m really surprised that it wasn’t listed here.

• Mack says:

Mint is great. Shame it didn’t make the list.

• atstudy007 says:

some thing like smt or clicktable is special much.

• myows says:

I’m hesitating between statcounter, which i already love and use… and mint, which sounds and looks awesome.

None of which are on your list of top 5 web stats systems…

• Rob says:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Yahoo Analytics (formerly IndexTools)